Internships with UNDP Lao PDR
The UNDP Country Office in Lao PDR supports the United Nations policy of providing appropriately skilled individuals, who are studying for or embarking on their careers, with work experience in the UN system. This will be accomplished through a country office internship program that targets those who are currently enrolled in post graduate programs at recognized universities or academic institutions.
Internship assignments vary in length according to the availability and academic requirements of the intern, as well as the needs of UNDP. However, they will normally last no less than six weeks and no more than six months.
Assignments are available on a part-time and full-time basis throughout the year. Internship agreements, including extension, of longer than six months are granted only on an exceptional basis with approval of the Resident Representative.
Conditions of assignment
UNDP does not pay for internships. The costs associated with must be borne by the nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and make his or her own arrangements for travel, accommodation and other costs of living during the internship assignment, including an insurance coverage for medical needs.
- All UNDP interns must be currently enrolled in post graduate programs at recognized universities or academic institutions.
- They must have necessary inter-personal skills to work in a demanding, cross-cultural environment.
- A solid functional ability in written and spoken English is required.
- Computer/ICT skills are required including word processing, email management, and web-based applications.
- Prior knowledge of the socio-cultural environment in Lao PDR is an advantage.
- Both International and Lao National candidates are eligible for the UNDP Lao Internship Program.
How to apply
Please check our vacancy announcements for open internship positions, or send us an open application. Your application should include:
- Cover letter
- Curriculam Vitae (CV)
- Completed internship application form
- Letter from your university confirming current enrollment and graduation date
Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualified candidates will be kept in our intern roster for a maximum of 12 months, and you will be contacted should any opportunities arise during that time.
If you are offered an internship, you may be required to produce the following documents:
- A copy of school transcript
- A medical certificate of good health;
- Proof of medical insurance valid for the location(s) in which the internship will be carried out;
- Proof of life/accidental death insurance for the location(s) in which the internship will be carried out;
- A copy of passport.