Community Participation and Communication Support Programme
What is the project about?
In partnership with the Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism, the Community Participation and Communication Support Programme (CPCSP) will strengthen the wider civil society in Lao PDR through supporting community organizations. The project will help scale up community media, promote gender equality and enhance a positive and non discriminatory portrayal of women. A large part of the Lao population, particularly in remote areas, has poor access to information, communication systems and public services that are relevant to help people take informed decisions about their lives.
What have we accomplished so far?
- Four planned radio stations are already broadcasting in Sekong (Tataeng and Dakchueng) and Xieng khuang (Khoun and Nonghed) provinces. Two more radio stations are being planned to operate in Oudomxay province by April 2014.
- According to project reports, Khoun Community Radio for Development Project (2006-2010) led to the following results; 80 percent of the district’s population see the new radio as the primary source of information; vaccination rates have risen by more than 50 percent in the district; and the number of women using health facilities during their pregnancy has increased by nearly 70%.
- Our community radio project received first prize in the “Excellence on Knowledge Sharing” category at the Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific 2011 Director Awards in Delhi.
- The UNDP and Khoun Radio team participated in a knowledge sharing event in Cambodia, “Consultation on Indigenous Language Radio and Community Media” on the 13th December 2011. Our team gave a presentation on government supported community media.
Who finances it?
|United Nations Development Programme|
Delivery in previous fiscal year
|2013: US$ 372,938.48
- Project Start Date
- February 2011
- Project End Date
- December 2014
- Geographic Coverage
- Xieng Khuang Province, Sekong Province, Oudomxay Province
- Focus Area
- Democratic Governance
- Project Officer
- Mr. Vilaykham Lasasimma
- Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism, Departments of Information, Culture and Tourism in Xieng Khouang, Sekong and Oudomxay