National Assembly Strategic Support Project
What is the project about?
To support Lao PDR in the process of graduating from the ranks of the least developed countries by 2020 and to strengthen the role of the National Assembly, UNDP Lao PDR is implementing the integrated ‘National Assembly Strategic Support Project’.
This project will strengthen the National Assembly as an accountable, inclusive and responsive institution. It will also enhance trust in state-society relations, and promote inclusive political processes with a focus on women, youth, and disadvantaged groups. The foundation of this project is on a solid base of understanding the Lao PDR’s context after years of support to the National Assembly by UNDP. Now, processes can be fast-tracked to support national policy and planning for inclusive development.
The project objective is to strengthen the legislative, oversight and representational role of the National Assembly in order to build and sustain democracy and development in Lao PDR.
What have we accomplished so far?
- Increased capacity National Assembly committees to successfully and effectively carry out their law-making role through workshops on the implementation of economic laws.
- Integrated gender and social inclusion components into draft law-making manual.
- Strengthened the National Assembly’s institutional and human resource capacities for an effective support service through senior staff trained in strategic planning and institutional performance assessment.
- Increased understanding of parlimentary research methods by developing education materials.
- Successfully established dialogue between the National Assembly and the people of Lao PDR to strengthen citizen participation in the government’s decision-making processes.
- Cross-cutting achievements include extensive contribution to the National Assembly Women’s Parliamentarian Caucus, development partner coordination, response to parliamentary program requests, gender awareness raising and capacity building for women National Assembly members.
Who finances it?
|Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation||USD1,475,000|
Delivery in previous fiscal year
|2014: USD 290,364|