National Governance and Public Administration Reform Programme Secretariat Support Project
What is the project about?
This project contributes to the broader National Governance and Public Administration Reform Programme (NGPAR). The objective of this government-led programme is to strengthen the capacity of public administration to deliver efficient, effective, transparent and accountable services to citizens.
The project will help to meet the needs of the Lao people through high level oversight and leadership, strategic management and support to all components of the national GPAR Programme.
What have we accomplished so far?
- This project under the National GPAR Programme is building on the achievements of the previous governance and public administration reform programme, which are as follows:
- Strategic oversight in the governance sector, public administration reform and public delivery has been strengthened through the development of the public systems of Lao PDR.
- Development and management of the civil service has been strengthened, which has led to (a) clearer and more wide-spread knowledge of the roles and functions of civil service entities and (b) improved public service delivery through a more rational and customer friendly organizational setup of civil service organizations, at the central and local level, by setting up One-Door-Service-Centres.
- The time needed to register a business has decreased by 80% through the use of the new “single service windows” at UNDP-supported One Door Service Centers.
- Local administration capacity has been strengthened through the implementation of the District Development Fund (DDF) and the GPAR projects based in the provinces.
- The capacity of implementing governance and administration reforms was strengthened at various levels of government through the direct financial and technical management of projects financed by the small-scale grants component of GPAR.
- Improved coordination mechanisms were put in place throughout the implementation of the GPAR.
Who finances it?
|Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)
|United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Delivery in previous fiscal year
|2013: US$ 386,514.38
- Project Start Date
- February 2012
- Project End Date
- December 2015
- Geographic Coverage
- Vientiane Capital
- Focus Area
- Democratic Governance
- Project Officer
- Ms. Viengmala Phomsengsavanh
- Ministry of Home Affairs (MOHA), Office of the Government, Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Planning and Investment, Ministry of Finance