Round Table provincial meeting tackles poverty in the north
To achieve the targets set under the 7th National Socio-Economic Development Plan (NSEDP), including the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), better development results must be achieved in northern Lao PDR, the country's poorest region.
At the Round Table provincial meeting in Xieng Khouang province on 31 May 2012, government officials and development partners reviewed progress towards provincial development goals with a focus on two of the regions off-track MDGs, education and health. The consultation also addressed cross-cutting development challenges at the local level and how to improve coordination, between the central and provincial levels, as well as with development partners.
- Lao PDR's northern region is the poorest in the country.
- Lao PDR has participated since 1983 in the Round Table Process.
- High-level Round Table meetings are held every 3-years in the capital, Vientiane.
The meeting was opened by the Governor of Xieng Khouang province, Somkot Mangnomek, also present were Somchith Inthamith, Deputy Minister of Planning and Investment and UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative, Minh Pham.
The numbers of people living below the poverty line are highest in the northern region. In Houaphan province, for example, this includes 50.5 percent of the population compared to a national average of 27.6 percent. The area also has a high inequality gap and unique development challenges, such as unexploded ordnance (UXO) contamination, which negatively impacts on rural development initiatives.
UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative, Minh Pham, highlighted the importance of ensuring that the benefits of the country's growth are shared by all, “Only by addressing inequality will the country's rapid development be considered a real success. This means making sure that development efforts are effective here on the ground in areas of the country such as Xieng Khouang and across the northern region.”
To help address poverty in the Northern region, H.E. Somchith Inthamith, Deputy Minister of Planning and Investment, encouraged all development partners, including NGOs and the private sector, to provide further support to the area to achieve better and equitable development for the people, as well as to realize the aid effectiveness principles as per the Vientiane Declaration.
Participants at the meeting also took part in a field trip to watch UXO Lao operations in action, to a vocational training school, supported by Germany, and to the provincial hospital to observe health initiatives addressing maternal mortality and nutrition.
The focus on the Northern region will help government officials and development partners to grasp a better understanding of the causes driving poverty and inequality, as well as initiatives and resources needed to achieve development objectives. The lessons learned and recommendations from the Round Table provincial consultation will inform the Round Table Implementation Meeting to be held in late November in Vientiane.
Lao PDR has participated since 1983 in the Round Table Process, which is the national process for aid coordination and effectiveness led by the Government of Lao PDR and supported by UNDP. This comprises Round Table Meetings every three years to review plans, strategies and programmes and commit funding pledges, while RTIM meetings review achievements and recommend further actions. Sector working groups meet throughout the year and provide a forum for dialogue between government sector ministries and development partners.
- ມື້ນີ້ພິທີສະເຫລີມສະຫລອງວັນມີຜົນບັງຄັບໃຊ້ສົນທິສັນຍາລະເບີດລູກຫວ່ານ ຄົບຮອບ 5 ປີ ໄດ້ຖືກຈັດຂຶ້ນ ພ້ອມກັບການວາງສະແດງຜົນງານຂອງບັນດາໂຄງການທີ່ກ່ຽວຂ້ອງກັບລະເບີດບໍ່ທັນແຕກ. ພະນະທ່ານ ສະເຫລີມໄຊ ກົມມະສິດ ລັດຖະມົນຕີຊ່ວຍວ່າການກະຊວງການຕ່າງປະເທດ ແລະ ມາດາມ ຄາຣິນາ ອິມໂມເນັນ ຜູ້ປະສານງານອົງການສະຫະປະຊາຊາດ ນຳພາພິທີດັ່ງກ່າວ. ໂດຍໄດ້ຮັບການຊ່ວຍເຫລືອສະຫນັບສະຫນຸນຈາກວົງຄະນາຍາດວາກົນ, ໃນໄລຍະ 5 ປີຜ່ານມານີ້ ສປປ ລາວ ສາມາດເກັບກູ້ລະເບີດບໍ່ທັນແຕກຈາກພື້ນທີ່ 33,358 ເຮັກຕາ, ທຳລາຍລະເບີດລູກຫວ່ານໄດ້ 242,056 ລູກ, ບົ່ມໃຫຍ່ 2,158 ລູກ, ມິ່ນ 1,141 ລູກ ແລະ ລະເບີດອື່ນໆອີກ 314,407 ລູກ. Today the celebration of the 5th Anniversary of the Entry into Force of the Convention on Cluster Munitions was organized with an exhibition from projects related to unexploded ordnance. H.E. Mr. Saleumxay Kommasith, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs and Mms. Kaarina Immonen, UN Resident Coordinator led the ceremony. With international support, Lao PDR has removed UXO items from 33,358 hectares, destroyed 242,056 sub-munitions, 2,158 big bombs, 1,141 mines and 314,407 other bomb types in the past five years. Photo: UNDP Lao PDR / Somlith Khounpaseuth Friday AT 10:50 AM
- ສອງສາມມື້ກ່ອນໜ້ານີ້ ສະຫະພັນກາແດງ ແລະ ເດືອນສ້ຽວສາກົນ, ກາແດງລາວ, ກະຊວງຊັບພະຍາກອນທຳມະຊາດ ແລະ ສິ່ງແວດລ້ອມ ແລະ ອົງການສະຫະປະຊາຊາດ ເພື່ອການພັດທະນາ ໄດ້ຈັດກອງປະຊຸມປຶກສາຫາລືກ່ຽວກັບ ກົດໝາຍວ່າດ້ວຍໄພພິບັດ ແລະ ການປ່ຽນແປງສະພາບດິນຟ້າອາກາດ. ຈຸດປະສົງຂອງກອງປະຊຸມໃນຄັ້ງນີ້ ກໍ່ເພື່ອແລກປ່ຽນປະສົບການ ແລະ ຄໍາຄິດຄໍາເຫັນທາງດ້ານເຕັກນິກ ຕໍ່ກັບຮ່າງກົດໝາຍວ່າດ້ວຍໄພພິບັດ ແລະ ການປ່ຽນແປງສະພາບດິນຟ້າອາກາດ. A few days ago, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Lao Red Cross, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and United Nations Development Programme organized a workshop on disaster and climate change law. Its purpose is to share experiences and provide technical input to the draft of the Disaster and Climate Change Law. Photo: UNDP Lao PDR/Somlith Khounpaseuth Friday AT 12:19 AM
- "See more posts on"Facebook