The HR Unit works according to global UNDP guidelines, rules and regulations. All vacancies are advertized nationally and/or internationally according to the requirements for the post. All job vacancies including for short-term consultancies are posted on this site. All applicants are encouraged to apply online.
Phone: +856 (0)21 267 780
The UNDP Country Office in Lao PDR supports the United Nations policy of providing appropriately skilled individuals, who are studying for or embarking on their careers, with work experience in the UN system. This will be accomplished through a country office internship program that targets those who are currently enrolled in post graduate programs at recognized universities or academic institutions.
Current Internship Vacancy
We are now open for expressions of interest in the following position(s):
Communications Intern (UNDP) TOR
National Communications Intern (UNRC) TOR
National Partnership Intern (UNRC) TOR
Internship assignments vary in length according to the availability and academic requirements of the intern, as well as the needs of UNDP. However, they will normally last no less than six weeks and no more than six months.
Assignments are available on a part-time and full-time basis throughout the year. Internship agreements, including extension, of longer than six months are granted only on an exceptional basis with approval of the Resident Representative.
Conditions of assignment
- Where an intern is not financially supported by any institution or programme, such as a university, government, foundation or scholarship programme, a stipend intended to help cover basic daily expenses related to the internship, such as meals and transportation at the duty station, must be paid by the receiving office.
- The monthly amount of the stipend will be determined for each duty station based on the stipend rates published yearly by the OHR Policy and Compensation Unit. The stipend will be paid on a monthly basis and part-time internship arrangements are prorated accordingly.
- Where an intern is financially supported by an institution, government or third party, UNDP will, subject to the rules of such institution, government or third party, pay the intern the difference, if any, between the external financial support provided and the applicable UNDP stipend.
- No other payments of any kind will be made to an intern by the office in connection with an internship agreement.
- Interns will accrue leave at the rate of 1 ½ days per month. Any accrued leave days not used by the end of the internship will be forfeited. Any unjustified absences during the internship period exceeding a total of nine days, will be deducted from the monthly stipend.
- All UNDP interns must be currently enrolled in post graduate programs at recognized universities or academic institutions.
- They must have necessary inter-personal skills to work in a demanding, cross-cultural environment.
- A solid functional ability in written and spoken English is required.
- Computer/ICT skills are required including word processing, email management, and web-based applications.
- Prior knowledge of the socio-cultural environment in Lao PDR is an advantage.
- Both International and Lao National candidates are eligible for the UNDP Lao Internship Program.
Clink here for more information on internship requirements.
How to apply
Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org and your application should include:
- Cover letter
- Curriculam Vitae (CV)
- Completed internship form
- Letter from your university confirming current enrollment and graduation date
Qualified candidates will be kept in our intern roster for a maximum of 12 months, and you will be contacted should any opportunities arise during that time.
If you are offered an internship, you may be required to produce the following documents:
- A copy of school transcript
- A medical certificate of good health;
- Proof of medical insurance valid for the location(s) in which the internship will be carried out;
- Proof of life/accidental death insurance for the location(s) in which the internship will be carried out;
- A copy of passport.
Internship Application Form and Supporting Documents
Internship Application Form MS Word (124.0 KB)
Internship Agreement MS Word (32.2KB)