What is the project about?
The Global Environment Facility's (GEF) Small Grants Programme (SGP) aims to deliver global environmental benefits in the GEF Focal Areas of biodiversity conservation, climate change mitigation, protection of international waters, prevention of land degradation (primarily desertification and deforestation), and elimination of persistent organic pollutants, through community-based approaches. The Country Programme Strategy for Lao PDR (download available from the right side of page) is a key document to implement the country programme.
What have we achieved?
- Established national country management team that includes National Steering Committee (NSC), Technical Advisory Group (TAG), Programme Assistant (PA) and National Coordinator (NC).
- Around 68 projects have received grants ranging from US$ 10,000 to US$ 50,000 from 2009-2012.
- The country programme has finished the Country Programme Strategy for the sixth operational phase (OP6 CPS) as the master document to implement the country programme. Since 2016, it has been able to call for submissions for project grants. As the result, more than 20 projects have been granted across all 18 provinces of Lao PDR.
- The projects are especially recognized as the benchmark for community-based initiatives to deal with global environmental concerns in the context of Lao PDR, but also aiming to bring comparable benefits in other GEF focal areas. SGP Lao PDR has become well known among local people for its pro-poor and community-driven approach.
- Mainstreaming GEF global and country environmental priorities into sustainable livelihood improvement and natural resource management at community levels. Received excellent support from National Steering Committee ensuring the efficient and transparent procedures for project review and approval.
- SGP is well known to development agencies, CSOs, Government of Lao PDR for its specialization in strengthening capacities of civil society organizations participating in environmentally and sustainable development.
- Gap between the ideal project objectives and actual circumstances has been bridged through pre- and in-the-course-of field visits and monitoring duly conducted by National Steering Committee members and National Coordinator.
- Strengthened capacities of civil society to implement community-based project.
Who finances it?
The GEF SGP country programme of Lao PDR is implemented by UNDP based on the Basic Standard Assistance Agreement (BSAA) and executed by UNOPs. The main donor is the Global Environment Facility.