What is the project about?
Building on the success of the previous phase, this programme focuses on developing and strengthening individual and institutional capacities, to enable the Government to implement the 8th National Socio-Economic Development Plan (NSEDP) to address the challenges related to achieving graduation from status of Least Developed Country (LDC) by 2020s’, strengthen its position as a middle-income country (MIC) and progress towards the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030.
The programme aims to address three key challenges in Lao PDR:
Firstly, there is a strong demand, at central and local levels of Government, for clearer linkages between planning and budgeting to enable authorities to ensure higher quality service delivery.
Secondly, the traditional relationship between Government and development partners has been changing in nature and is expected to keep evolving into an even stronger partnership.
Thirdly, the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030 calls for focused planning and implementation by the Government and all development partners including civil society and private sector.
- Improved national capacity to plan, manage and monitor development results at regional, national and all subnational levels;
- Increased efficiency and effectiveness of development cooperation and financing for development;
- Substantially improved planning and implementing of, and reporting on development cooperation;
- Improved quality of national statistics and research, allowing for increased evidence-based policy making and the overall better public accessibility of quality information;
- Enhanced gender mainstreaming in the national and provincial planning and women’s empowerment through poverty reduction and better livelihood related activities.
The key outcome expected from this programme is an improved capacity of the Government to implement and monitor the 8th NSEDP and formulate the 9th NSEDP, contributing to smooth LDC graduation, MIC transition and achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Duration: April 2017 – December 2021
- Geographic coverage: National level
- Focus areas: Poverty reduction, development effectiveness, policy dialogue
- Implementing partners: Ministry of Planning and Investment in close collaboration with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Partners: The Government of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (since 2017)